July 2023 Flood Response

City Departments
Council & Committees
Visit Barre
Contact Us

Board of Abatement

The Board of Abatement meets 1-2 times/year to hear requests for abatement of property taxes, water/sewer charges, late fees, and/or interest.  Abatement requests must meet at least one of the criteria as laid out in state statute:  https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/24/051/01535.

Abatement hearing requests can be submitted in writing to the City Clerk at PO Box 418, Barre VT  05641, or by email to cdawes@barrecity.org.

The Board is made up of Justices of the Peace, Councilors, Clerk/Treasurer, and City Assessor.

Contact the Clerk's office with any questions at (802) 476-0242 or cdawes@barrecity.org.

List of Board of Abatement members


Those who experienced flood damage to their properties may have an option for abatement of property taxes if their property is deemed damaged or destroyed, as per state statute.  

 If you're property experienced flood damage, you will have an opportunity to submit an appeal to the Board of Abatement, requesting your property taxes be abated due to damage or destruction of your property.

To make a request, send a letter or email to the Board of Abatement, care of Barre City Clerk Carol Dawes, PO Box 418, Barre VT  05641, cdawes@barrecity.org.

Be sure to include the following information in your abatement request:

 Contact Barre City Clerk Carol Dawes with any questions:  (802) 476-0242 or cdawes@barrecity.org.


Primary Staff:
Carol Dawes, Barre City Clerk/Treasurer - cdawes@barrecity.org