Carolyn S. Dawes, Barre City Clerk & Treasurer, CVC, CVT
6 N. Main Street, Ste. 6
PO Box 418
Barre VT 05641
The Barre City Clerk's office is open Mondays - Fridays from 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM. We are open through lunch. We are closed weekends and all legal holidays.
NOTICE - Barre City Hall has re-opened to the public.
Notice Regarding Property Tax Payments
The City of Barre's 2021 property tax year covers the period from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022. Payments can be made on or before the four installment due dates of September 15, 2021, November 15, 2021, February 15, 2022 and May 16, 2022. If a payment due date falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date is extended to the next business day. The City will issue receipts upon request when payments are received. Any overpayments of $5 or more are refunded at the end of each tax year. Payments can be made with a credit card or e-check HERE.
By law, all dogs must be licensed with the Barre City Clerk's Office each year by April 1st. Rabies certificates are required to license your pet. If your pet has been spayed/neutered, we also need to see proof from your vet. Please see below for fee schedule for dogs. Licenses for 2022 go on sale beginning January 2, 2022.
- Dog Neutered/Spayed - $17 per animal
- Dog not Neutered/Spayed - $21 per animal
Late Fees (after 4/1/22)
- Dog Neutered/Spayed - $20 per animal
- Dog not Neutered/Spayed - $24 per animal
Licensing new dogs - You may stop by the clerk's office or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information to complete the license. If we do not receive the information, we cannot complete the license process, and your license will be delayed:
- Your name, address and phone number
- Dog's name
- Dog's age (years/months), color, breed(s), size (pounds)
- Scanned copy of current rabies certificate and proof of spay or neuter (if applicable) (or fax to (802) 476-0264)
Renewing your dog's license - If you are unsure about whether your dog's rabies certificate is still current, call the office at (802) 476-0242, and we'll look it up for you. If you have a new rabies certificate, scan and email it to us at email@example.com or fax to (802) 476-0264.
Licenses and tags can be picked up in person, or will be mailed to you upon receipt of the correct fee, and confirmation of all required paperwork and information. Mail check or cash to the mailing address above, or click HERE to pay on-line.
Information on Abatement of Taxes, Water/sewer Charges, Late Fees and Interest Charges
You may request a hearing before the Board of Abatement for abatement of taxes, water/sewer charges, late fees and/or interest charges by submitting a written request to the clerk at cdawes@barrecity, or the mailing address above. Abatements can only be granted to those requests that meet at least one of the criteria established by state statute. Click HERE to review the list of criteria and additional information about abatements.
Requests for Copies of Vital Records (birth, death, marriage)
Request certified copies of vital records by following the steps below. The fee is $10 per certified copy. Please make the check payable to Barre City Clerk. Also include a self-addressed and stamped return envelope. Mail your application & photocopy of ID (if applicable), payment and return envelope to:
Barre City Clerk
PO Box 418
Barre, VT 05641
BIRTH AND DEATH RECORDS:
1. Application and ID are necessary to request a certified or noncertified copy of a birth or death record. Click on the link below for the application.
2. You must provide a photocopy of the ID(s) referenced on the application, and the ID(s) must match the applicant's name and address.
3. Availability of certified and noncertified copies is limited to certain people/organizations, based on relationship to person named on document. See list of authorized individuals on application.
1. Certified and noncertified copies of marriage licenses are to be made by staff only. No application is required.
2. You may request a certified or noncertified copy of a marriage license by submitting your request in writing to the address above. Be sure to include all relevant information (names of the parties and date of the marriage). Please include your daytime phone number in case we need to contact you with questions.
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning July 1, 2019, you will be able to access copies of any Vermont birth or death record through any town clerk's office. The same rules for access apply as are listed above.
Property Tax Bill Copy Request & Authorization
Property tax bills that contain state rebate information are not public records. A redacted version of the bills are available upon request. Unredacted copies are available to property owners and "...an escrow agent, town auditor, lawyer including paralegal or assistant, employee or agent of a financial institution or credit union, realtor, or CPA".
Paper copies of tax bills are 25 cents each. Electronic copies are available free of charge via email.
Vermont residents must apply for a marriage license in the community where they live. Out-of-state residents may apply at any Vermont Town Clerk's office. Click HERE for a writable PDF version of the application available on the Vermont Department of Health website.
The fee for a marriage license is $60, plus $10 for a certified copy of the solemnized and recorded license. Licenses can be issued up to 60 days before the ceremony. If you have been divorced, a copy of your most recent divorce decree must accompany your application.
Please allow at least 24 hours between when you submit your application and when you plan on picking up the license for your wedding. Rush orders are possible, depending on staffing and other work priorities in the office. When in doubt, please call us.
Click HERE for a list of Justices of the Peace who perform marriages.
Call the clerk's office with any questions: (802) 476-0242.
The Vermont Treasurer's office maintains a list of unclaimed property by owner. You or someone you know may have unclaimed property on the list - closed bank accounts, uncollected insurance payments, etc. Click HERE to download the latest copy of the list which contains Barre people and businesses with unclaimed property on file at the VT Treasurer's office. If you find an item and you'd like to submit a claim, visit their website.