Council & Committees
City Departments
Visit Barre
Contact Us
City Clerk

Carolyn S. Dawes, CVC CVT, Barre City Clerk & Treasurer


Office Hours

The Barre City Clerk's office is open Mondays - Fridays from 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM.  We are open through lunch.  We are closed weekends and all legal holidays.

Notice Regarding Property Tax Payments

The City of Barre's 2017 property tax  year covers the period from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.  Payments can be made on or before the four installment due dates of August 15, 2017, November 15, 2017, February 15, 2018 and May 15, 2018.  The City will issue receipts upon request when payments are received.   Upon a property owner’s request, the City allows payments to be applied for the 2018 Tax year that begins July 1, 2018.  However the amounts due for that tax year have not been determined.  Any overpayments are refunded at the end of each tax year.  The City takes no position as to whether any property tax payments it receives are deductible for Federal or State income tax purposes and advises property owners to verify this with their tax Accountant.

Requests for Vital Records (birth, death, marriage)

Request certified copies of vital records by sending a written request. Be sure to include all pertinent information, including birth names, dates of birth, maiden names, marriage dates and dates of death. The fee is $10 per certified copy. Please make the check payable to Barre City Clerk. Also include a self-addressed and stamped return envelope. Mail your request, payment and return envelope to:

Barre City Clerk
PO Box 418
Barre, VT 05641

Please note: The location of vital records is based on the following:

Property Tax Bill Copy Request & Authorization

Property tax bills that contain state rebate information are not public records. A redacted version of the bills are available upon request. Unredacted copies are available to property owners and " escrow agent, town auditor, lawyer including paralegal or assistant, employee or agent of a financial institution or credit union, realtor, or CPA".

Paper copies of tax bills are 25 cents each. Electronic copies are available free of charge via email.

Marriage Licenses

Vermont residents must apply for a marriage license in the community where they live. Out-of-state residents may apply at any Vermont Town Clerk's office. Click HERE for a writable PDF version of the application available on the Vermont Department of Health website.

The fee for a marriage license is $60, plus $10 for a certified copy of the solemnized and recorded license. Licenses can be issued up to 60 days before the ceremony. If you have been divorced, a copy of your most recent divorce decree must accompany your application.

Please allow at least 24 hours between when you submit your application and when you plan on picking up the license for your wedding. Rush orders are possible, depending on staffing and other work priorities in the office. When in doubt, please call us.

Click HERE for a list of Justices of the Peace who perform marriages.

Call the clerk's office with any questions: (802) 476-0242.