To register to vote, please visit Vermont's Online Voter Registration System.
Absentee Ballot Information
Absentee ballots can be obtained by the following methods. You must request ballots every calendar year. You can request ballots for yourself and/or for another Barre City registered voter:
- PHONE: Telephone request to the City Clerk’s office at 476-0242 to receive an absentee ballot by mail. It is recommended you make a request for a mailed ballot at least a week before the election to allow enough time for the ballot to travel through the mail to and from you.
- EMAIL: Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your mailing address.
- MAIL: To request an absentee ballot by mail, send your written request to the Barre City Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 418, Barre, VT 05641.
- To vote early in person or pick up an absentee ballot, please stop by the City Clerk's office. Office hours are M-F 7:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Please note that when picking up an absentee ballot in person at the Clerk's office, you may not pick up a ballot for another person. You may request that a ballot be mailed to someone else.
- To request an absentee ballot by mail please fill out the Request Form for Early and Absentee Ballot.
- ON-LINE: You may also request ballots on-line through the Secretary of State's My Voter Page web portal.
- You may request that Justices-Of-The-Peace deliver a ballot to you prior to the election if you have a handicap or disability and are not able to vote outside your residence. Such requests need to be received by the day before the election at the latest. JP ballot delivery is not available on the day of the election, and ballots cannot be delivered outside Barre City limits.
All absentee ballots must be returned prior to the closing of the polls at 7:00 P.M. on Election Day to be counted. Those absentee ballots returned by mail must arrive at the Barre City Clerk's office by close of the office the day before any election, or at the Post Office on election days. The Barre City Post Office box will be checked at 5PM on election days to assure ballots are received and counted. Absentee ballots may also be dropped in the drop box to the right of the front door of City Hall, or the drop box behind City Hall. The drop boxes are available to receive ballots until 4:30 PM the day before elections. Absentee ballots may also be dropped off at the polls on election days, and must be received before the polls close at 7:00 PM. Absentee ballots received after election days will not be counted.