Council & Committees
City Departments
Visit Barre
Contact Us
Planning, Permitting, and Assessing Services

The Planning & Permitting Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the City land-use regulations, development of the City Master Plan, other ongoing planning efforts, GIS mapping coordination, and grant preparation and administration. The department is staffed by a full-time Planner as well as a full-time permit administrator. The Department reviews all development proposals and assists the public in understanding the ordinances and helping them through the permit process. The Administrator is also responsible for taking action on all known zoning violations. Lastly, the Planner is charged with securing grants relating to planning-related projects.

The Planning & Permitting Department has recently been, or is currently involved, in several planning activities including:

If you are planning on any construction or land use change project within the city, either to your home, rental or business, please contact the Permit Administrator to determine whether or not permits are needed and what is required.  State and local requirements change frequently, and there are penalties for not having the right permits.

The permit application forms, mapping information, regulations and current version of the Municipal plan can all be found in the toolboxes on the right of this page.

For more information contact:
Planning & Permitting Department

Janet E. Shatney, Planning Director
6 N Main St Suite 7
Barre VT 05641

Heather L. Grandfield, Permit Administrator
6 N Main St Suite 7
Barre VT 05641