Are you curious what it is like to be a police officer? Do you want to get a closer look at what is going on in your community? Are you interested in a career in law enforcement? If your answer is yes to any of these questions, apply to go on a ride along with a Barre City police officer.
Barre City Police Department’s Ride-Along program is available to provide an inside look at what officers do on a daily basis.
GUIDELINES FOR PARTICIPATION
Any person eighteen (18) years or older meeting the criteria listed below is eligible to participate in the program:
A resident of, or business owner in the City of Barre, VT; or a
- Visiting law enforcement officer, individual with an interest in law enforcement, applicant for employment with, or an employee of the Barre City Police Department;
- Relative of an active or retired Barre City Police Department employee;
- Professional or college student in the field of Criminal Justice, Law, or the Social Sciences;
- Member of an accredited news agency; or
- Governmental Official or an employee of the City of Barre.
Participation in this program is limited to one every six (6) months unless otherwise approved by the Chief of Police or their designee.
All Ride-Along applicants must provide, prior to approval and at the commencement of the Ride-Along, a valid form of photo identification.
A brief background check will be conducted on the applicant prior to approval.
Participants are prohibited from carrying or possessing weapons of any kind.
Tape recorders, cameras and video equipment by ride-along participants cannot be used without permission.
A Ride-Along is limited to a four (4) hour block of time unless otherwise approved by the Chief of Police or their designee.
Review this Instruction Document about the program.
Citizens wishing to apply for consideration must fill out the Citizen Ride-Along Request and Waiver.